Welcome to my world!

Just a slight insight into the changes occurring in my life and all around me....

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Security or Freedom?

As a final year business student who has very little interest in a career in accounting, tax or audit, I have found myself with little direction or help. A masters is a big fat NO for me as the life of paid full time employment during a summer placement has left me quite depressed in my life back as a broke student.

So I began my search with an open mind and anticipation. I typed marketing graduate programmes into the old reliable (Google). I was astounded at how simple this search actually was and how easy it could have been for the careers office to point me in the direction of all of these amazing graduate programs that appeared on my screen instead of endlessly promoting the famous milkround in my direction. Websites such as www.graduate-jobs.com, www.gradpool.ie and www.gradireland.com proved very fruitful.

Application and selection processes are long and draining but rightly so as potential salaries and benefits were beyond my expectations. If successful in any of these applications I could finally consider anything that was beyond my current financial constraints. The list is endless! Typically, my mind went into overdrive and it struck me that the idea of being tied to these programmes for 2-3 years terrified me. The well-known phrase 'life is too short' consistently comes to mind.

I want to travel, see the world and experience things I could never imagine. Do I sign the next three years of my life away to a company but gain invaluable experience and enjoy the feeling of financial security? Or do I live impulsively, move to Austrailia/Canada/New Zealand etc. but still crave designer shoes, a macbook and other luxury goods aswell as gaining very little experience in an area that I believe my career will eventually be in?

My brain has become mush again so I'm off to cinema to console myself with a large popcorn and the happily ever afters of Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment